Need to kick up an otherwise boring steamed vegetable? Try this Keto-friendly Creamed Spinach with Tomatoes recipe, inspired by Paula Deen.
**This post contains affiliate links, and I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on my links. I will NEVER recommend or promote products I don’t personally use and love!
Last night, we were looking for a vegetable to go along with a delicious pork tenderloin. My husband, Paul, brought up some spinach he had picked up at the store.
“Is there any way to make that spinach less…boring?”, he asked.
So off I went to search the internet high and low for a spinach recipe that would kick it up a notch.
Not really….I had creamed spinach on my mind for some reason, Googled it, and Paula Deens recipe was the first one to come up.
So I set about making it, which was really quite simple.
But I’m not one to just follow a recipe.
I always have to tweak them as I go. Not enough garlic? I’ll add a few more cloves!
Not enough butter…double that.
This looks boring….let’s add some color!
And so this new recipe was born – thanks, Paul (for asking) and Paula (for the inspirations)!
The ingredients are all pretty simple, and things I always have in my kitchen anyway:
- Fresh spinach leaves (you could definitely use frozen, too)
- garlic cloves (minced garlic from the store will also be fine, but don’t use powder in this recipe)
- San Marzano tomatoes (or another small tomato)
- heavy whipping cream
- nutmeg (I know. Sounds weird, but it’s a nice flavor profile addition!)
You’ll need a nice big pan to start this recipe, because spinach starts HUGE and then wilts down to next to nothing! I used an entire container of spinach (the BIG container, too), and then some for my family of 6.
I use a pan like this one at home:
I’d say this recipe will serve 4 as written.
Check out the full recipe below, and let me know what you think!
Creamed Spinach with Tomatoes
- 3 tbsp butter grass fed is best
- 3 cloves garlic fresh
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 container fresh spinach leaves large container
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg ground
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 package SanMarzano tomatoes or other small tomato
- Melt butter in the pan on the stovetop.
- Add minced garlic and onion. Cook until soft (about 2 minutes).
- Add spinach. Cook until it cooks down. (About 2 minutes)
- Add salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Stir.
- Pour in heavy whipping cream, and cook until sauce is reduced by about 1/2. (3-5 minutes)
- While sauce is reducing, halve your tomatoes.
- After sauce is reduced, add tomatoes and cook for another minute.
- Serve warm.